[arm-allstar] AllStar reliability -- was: dtmf macros for repeater control

Fred Moore fred at fmeco.com
Mon Dec 28 09:26:56 EST 2015

Thought I would add to the Linux reliability with this story.

I was asked to link an access control system between Orlando and Chicago
for one of my customers.  Deploying the two Linux machines took longer
than getting this done.  The design was simple as the access system
could be expanded via serial ports, it was as simple as creating an SSH
tunnel between the systems, and routing the serial data over link.  Each
server was sitting in a company data center, we are talking about 24/7
conditioned power and proper cooling.

The design, was simple, on each side

    (Orlando)

Access Control 485 network --- RS-485 box (serial) -- Linux PC
-- INTERNET --
    (Chicago)
Linux PC (serial) RS-485 box -- Access Control 485 network

This was before small hardware boxes were created to do exactly this..

Fast forward 3.5 years later, I get a phone call from my contact in
Orlando, with a question, where did we put that link server at, Under
the desk where the access control PC sits, says I,  we moved that years
ago, but I can't find the link PC, we know its still running as the
Chicago and Orlando are still talking.

I went over and we found the missing server, After following the network
cable under the floor we found the server, behind a wall that had been
built when they decreased the size of the data center.  Apparently the
data center guys moved the PC running the access control system, didn't
see the small headless PC sitting under the desk, the movers came in on
a Friday night moved the desk, found the server, didn't call anyone, and
the construction crew that weekend just built the wall about 5 feet in
front of it.  The wall was constricted to decrease the size of the data
center in order to decrease the AC load.  So here it was 3.5 years later
still running untouched behind a wall without air conditioning for at
least 2 of the 3.5 years, happily maintaining a ssh link.

BTW this system was running Debian.  The other thing I need to tell you
is this occurred around 9 years ago. So at the time the system was
deployed around 11.5 years ago.   Since then the OS is far better than
it was back then.  I am primarily a BSD guy as I grew up on mainframes
and Unix,  the only reason I chose Linux for this job was because a
couple of the IT guys wanted to see Linux actually do something as they
had never played with it, since I already was a BSD guy it was still
simple to do.

The lessons here are simple don't run any software you don't need, an
just let it run, do it's job and don't play with it after its working.
Fred