[arm-allstar] Web Transciever

Pete Fierro mrpjf150 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 18:11:18 EST 2015

    Jeff

Here is a workaround for those  that use the Allstar Web Transceiver (
https://allstarlink.org).This may apply to you,thought I would share
this.Before I had my node setup,didn't know that java was the problem until
I did this.

Several members in our local club have experienced application startup
failures due to recent Java updates.  Users that have automated Java
updates turned on have probably received the most recent update - Java 8
Update 45.  This version requires a specific permissions attribute in the
Web Transceiver JAR file that gets downloaded to your browser.  Currently
the JAR file does not contain the attribute so you must explicitly enable a
site exception in order to download the application if you are using Java 8
Update 45.

The alternative is to use a back level of Java such as Java 7 Update 51
This option has more risk and I would not recommend that unless you are
very sure of sites you may want to visit.
The main improvement with Update 51 is better security so the following
workaround for the web transceiver is safer in my opinion.

This description is based on Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 11.  Your
steps may vary slightly for other combinations.

First step: Verify you have Java 7 Update 51
>From 'Start' =>
Type 'Configure Java' in the Search bar at the bottom  =>
Select the 'Configure Java' application which opens as the Java Control
Panel =>
Go to the 'Java' tab => click 'View' => confirm that Java 1.7.0_51 is
enabled or more recent version (skip to next step if yes)
Close the window - return to the main Java Control Panel => 'Update' tab =>
'UpdateNow' button
Follow instructions on the Oracle Java website
When finished reopen the Java Control Panel and follow steps to verify Java
1.8.0_45 is enabled (disable other versions)

Second step: Add an Exception
Java Control Panel => 'Security' tab
    My settings include: 'Enable Java content in the browser' (checked),
Security Level = High (recommended) =>
Click 'Edit Site List' =>
Add https://allstarlink.org to 'Locations' list => select OK twice to close
the Java Control Panel

You should now be able to load the Web Transceiver application from
the https://allstarlink.org
website.
You will probably get a warning message - Check 'I accept the risk and want
to run this application.'
You can avoid future security prompt in the 'Show Options' dropdown.

Please note the application developer is aware of the underlying issue with
the JAR file and it will probably be fixed in a reasonable time.

73,
Pete
KD2ARB