[arm-allstar] Noise from BBB

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Thu Apr 30 12:14:04 EST 2015

Hi Robert,

Recent Wal-warts can be awful, awful, awful noise sources! I've even got a
some 19V laptop power supplies that wipe out HF---S9+20 broadband noise
on 75meters. The noise is coupled to the house wiring via the AC source.
The noise is everywhere!

As I've mentioned in other messages, I -highly- recommend these cheap
DC-DC step-down switchers. I'm now using them 100% for BBB, RPi2 and
Odroid C1 power supplies, with outstanding results. See:

>From China (these have taken about 2 weeks shipping for me):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251564887056

Previously, I've also purchased "the same" power modules from the US ebay
seller: NYPLATFORM  ...But, they seem out-of-stock right now. This seller
had about 2 day shipping.

Note that I'm using wal-warts to power these DC-DC switchers, too, in
several setups.  However, I'm using "old style" (read that as: QUIET!),
unregulated, transformer 9VDC to 15VDC 1A supplies. These warts are
nothing fancy: a step-down transformer, full-wave bridge rectifier, and
output filter capacitor....But, they're QUIET (and they're cheap!).

73, David KB4FXC