[arm-allstar] DSP & RPi2

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Tue Apr 28 06:07:25 EST 2015

Hi Dave,

All the code to run usbradio is included in the RPi2 release. However,
while better than on the BBB, I'm "luke warm" about the performance. With
my "mix" of settings, I hear a rather large number of pops and clicks
(AKA: choppy audio), as compared to usbradio on a fast PC. These problems
are in addition to the other typical usbradio audio artifacts Doug has
mentioned.

I agree with you that there is a huge need for high-performance DSP
capability (PL/DPL encode/decode, Squelch, filters, compressors/limitors,
etc.). I -personally- need this capability for projects I'm working on.

So, a fix is in the works, via a new channel driver. I won't get deep into
the details, but, I will mention that it implements a modular,
multi-processing approach. This allows it to take more advantage of the
new multi-core CPU's that are now so prevalent (and the trend of the
future).

For now, simpleusb works quite well. And, the latest code includes full
flat-audio (de-emphasis and pre-emphasis--thanks Jim!) support, and a RX
audio delay feature to chop off squelch tails. I will mention that some
users (including ME) have noticed a variable audio delay between RX and TX
audio, when used in duplex=2 mode (a repeater). This problem seems to show
up when the node is actively linked to some other node.  I've got a
work-around for this issue and it will be included in the next release.

These are FUN little boards!

73, David KB4FXC

On Tue, 28 Apr 2015, David Kavanagh wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I was wondering if someone may be able to advise if anyone has had
success as yet in getting DSP up and running on the Pi2? I have heard of
some people having "choppy" audio and yet some apparently have it running
fine.
> I would love the facility to change/swap CTCSS and other details simply
thru the software and the better quality audio that also comes with the
USB Radio driver and use flat audio into the URI/software.

> I see there is the usbradio.conf file there to be played with but do we
have any facility to try this on the current version? Would changing the
rpt.conf to usb/radio allow the driver to be utilised or are there other
dependancies to be installed? Is there a tune "helper" facility available
to assist in setting the audio levels in the software etc - I have had a
look around however I am unable to find it as yet.