[arm-allstar] Wifi

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sun Apr 19 10:19:52 EST 2015

A quick answer is that there are a ton of wifi FOBS and we have found wifi using just about any FOB to be troublesome on the RPi2 or BBB especially when using a static IP and/or switching from wifi to wired. We are currently looking into a suitable fix for this but there are better alternatives.  My recommendations are:

> Use a wired connection whenever possible.
> For wifi use an external wired to wifi adapter like the IOgear

  http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Universal-Ethernet-Adapter-GWU627/dp/B004UAKCS6

This makes it extremely easy to switch between wired and wireless. The BBB or RPi2 always thinks it is talking to a wired connection. It also takes the load of wifi off of the BBB or RPi2. This device is very small and easy to use. scroll down to the last photo on this page to see it in use -

http://crompton.com/hamradio/818_transceiver_module/

When purchasing a RPi2 or BBB opt not to get the complete kit. It costs more and contains things you will not use. All you need is a board, a case (optional) , and a power supply. The SD cards that come with the kits are of lower quality than the better Sandisk cards.
Also keep in mind that using WIFI to a public hotspot is not usually going to work as in most cases you need to log in with another device and except an agreement. If you want truly portable operation making your own hotspot that you have control over is the best way to go. You could use most smartphones or a portable computesr to create a hotspot or wired bridge. Another option is something like a Cradlepoint router and an aircard for a direct connect to a cell account. I have taken Allstar on the road using this arrangement and it works well.  See the bottom of the web page -

http://crompton.com/hamradio/baofeng888/

for an example of this.

73 Doug
WA3DSP