[arm-allstar] Unpotted USB audio FOBs --- THEY WORK!!

Kevin Custer kuggie at kuggie.com
Sat Oct 25 22:28:34 EST 2014

Jim,

You may want to use Schottky diodes in the future - depending. Why?

The COS and PL inputs are internally pulled high, to 3.3 V, and have to
be pulled low enough to be valid.

Okay, so the CM108/119's GPIO's for COS and PL are looking for a signal
close enough to ground to be valid and reliable.  Remember, these inputs
were originally manual switches in the FOB's.  As such they didn't
provide any voltage and made a good ground when pressed, as that's what
the other side of the switch was tied to - ground.

I have been cautioned that the 'valid' on-state voltage is somewhere
around 1.0V for optimum reliability.  If you were to use a standard
transistor output logic (commonly available in many radios) the voltage
drop can be about .7V for active low.  If you use a silicon diode for
the series protection, this adds another .7V, and now we are at 1.4V.
Using a Schottky diode with a lesser voltage drop (.3V) gets us back
down to that 1.0 volt range.  I have found that many FOB's will work at
1.4V but fail to switch at 1.5V. Some NPN and FET switches are less than
.7 when switched "on" and you can get away with silicon protection
diodes. YMMV.

If you are using an open collector transistor stage to feed these
inputs, the active high voltage can be anything - even 12 volts or
higher.  The diode keeps this pull-up voltage from blowing up the
CM108/119.  The key here is the line has to be pulled low enough to
become active.  Sometimes that requires a pull-down resistor with PNP
type open collector output stages.  Something around a 1 to 10K usually
works.

Kevin