[arm-allstar] DRA818V VHF Band Voice Transceiver Module and DRA818U UHF Band Voice Transceiver Module

Christopher Kovacs w0anm73 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 18:51:18 EST 2014

Hi Steve,

I am currently working an a proof of concept Allstar node using this Dorji
Module.  I just got the module on the air as Allstar node 29061.  I used a
modified FOB and the DRA818U module.  The module works well and has nice
audio and running 500mw.

I did have issues programming the device.  Any commands sent were responded
by an error command.  I found an Arduino  Library that I thought I would
try to help determine the root cause and see how someone else programmed
the module.  It also gave the same results and I was afraid that the module
may be bad.  I added a CONNECT command to the library to see how that would
respond.  After adding the "AT+DMOCONNECT\r\n" command prior to other
commands, it work as it should, not it's not clear why.

I am currently using the Arduino Mino Pro 3.3V to set the module settings
and it's seems to be working just fine.  I plan to use the Arduino as a
simple interface to program and setup the module. Ultimately, I would like
to use the BBB UART modules, but the current kernel does not support the
cape manager and the addiontal UART modules are not part of the overlays.

Here is a pointer to my project notes and an image of the current project:

http://www.w0anm.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=allstar:allstar_nano_node_project

I still need to complete the 3.3V power supply and complete the
documentation.

Thank you for adding the URL docs to your email. I have not see some of the
app notes so it may give me an insight to why I had issues.

73,  Chris, w0anm

(Allstar node 29061, 29062)