[arm-allstar] Yet another USB FOB Modification

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sun Nov 16 12:58:12 EST 2014

My definition of users is individual simplex nodes which I would suspect is the overwhelming majority especially in the BBB world.

I lost track of what we are even talking about here. If it is pre/deemphasis then that can be done in the radio or in SW. Yes it is more difficult to do that in simpleusb but that wil change with a future new channel driver for the BBB. In the past things were driven by the way Allstar was delivered basically forcing people into using usbradio as thats the way the Acid release installs. The user would have to find and install simpleusb if they wanted to switch. In my opinion characteristically distorted usbradio audio is much more of an annoying problem than improper equalization.

Most radios can be made to work with simpleusb and with pre/deempahsis done in the radio. That is using fixed level speaker audio and mic input. It works fine. Mototorla's can do it and so can most all commercial ham equipment. It makes no difference what type of FM modulation is being used if you let the radio do the pre/deemphasis. Why make things more difficult at the expense of a dB or two more flatness that most people can't even hear.

Our local network typically has 15 to 20 nodes connected and a mixture of radios, many Alinco, a few Motorola, and a others. They are all running simpleusb and all typically have good audio. I find that most audio problems arise with the users handhelds. Listen to any repeater and you will find audio all over the place in quality and level. You can't correct something that is bad to begin with.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio