[arm-allstar] Yet another USB FOB Modification

Scott Zimmerman n3xcc at zewireless.com
Sat Nov 15 22:43:45 EST 2014

 > The effort to make a $2.50 FOB work is well worth it at that cost.
That depends on how valuable your time is. If your time is worth nothing, then YES. If you can make
more money doing something else, or you have three grade-school kids like me, then NO.

There are some audio/RF engineering reasons to NOT use an unfiltered FOB as well. All is well if you
are feeding a microphone input.

 > The DMK URI is only $70.
Correct. However the URI is missing additional filtering and the PC comms. failure detection. A
through investigation of the URI circuitry will uncover a few other poor engineering practices
implemented in its design.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but rather simply pointing out that there are reasons why the
RIM is more money. A comparison of the circuitry clearly shows the differences.

If you are running your TX audio into the microphone input of your radio/repeater, you are fine
using the audio output from a "raw" FOB. However, if you are driving a modulator directly (into a
synthesizer, or direct FM via a varactor diode) the lack of a low-pass filter after the DAC *WILL*
produce off frequency signals.

I hate to delve into a deep audio/RF engineering discussion on a primarily software based list, but...

If you happen to have an oscilloscope, and you take a close look at the audio coming out of the DAC
you'll see "stair steps" on the leading and trailing edges of the sine wave, this is DAC clock
noise. This noise is a direct result of the number of bits of resolution of the DAC and the rate at
which the audio is being played back. By its very nature, *ANY* DAC *WILL* produce harmonics since
it is a fundamentally digital device and is only capable of natively producing pseudo sine waves
comprised of short duration square waves. (discrete voltages for a specific period of time)

If you run the raw DAC audio into a mic input, the additional filtering of the audio chain cleans up
the wave, removes the digital noise, and leaves you with a clean waveform headed for the modulator.

If you drive a modulator directly with that same "raw" waveform, sidebands will appear in your FM
transmitter. (Think FM stereo pilot) Since the DAC is running at 44KHz, this "pilot" falls 44KHz on
each side of your repeater's center frequency. THIS IS BAD. Sure, one could argue that the frequency
response of a typical amateur grade modulator is pretty low at 44KHz, and I agree. However, why
tempt fate? I don't want to be the one to get a pink slip from the FCC for splattering RF across 90+
KHz of 2M spectrum. (You need to take into account the harmonics of the 44KHz sampling frequency as
well.) It is for this reason that a low-pass filter is necessary after the DAC. The human ear can't
hear the 44KHz clock noise when a FOB is used for its intended purpose, but I can assure you that
the 44KHz will make it into the modulator and cause issues.

Please, for the sake of protecting neighboring repeater channels, place additional filtering after
the DAC if you are not running your audio into the mic input of your repeater. The URI has two-poles
of LP filtering to clean up the DAC's output. I went with 5 poles for my RIM design which allows me
to run the knee of the filter higher in frequency (allowing for more greater sibilance on wider UHF
channels and for future wide bandwidth digital modes) while still providing a sharp skirt that
knocks the 44KHz down to nothing.

Scott

Scott Zimmerman
Amateur Radio Call N3XCC