[arm-allstar] Frustrated by time ???

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Tue Dec 16 16:44:27 EST 2014

Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd mention that Doug's simple RTC project is a VERY good
solution where Internet access isn't guaranteed. The big positives points
with the RTC are that it's self contained, with no external parts.

Another solution is to use a USB GPS puck; the drawback of the GPS
solution being that the GPS must be located where it see the satellites.
Note that the gpsd software is already part of the 1.2.1 release. I've
used GPS units like this one, previously, for both time and APRS position.
They work well....See:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/181490131179

I'll mention further that this GPS isn't a "precision" time solution, with
sub-millisecond accuracy! But, it will give you better than 1 second
accuracy reliably and continuously.

73, David KB4FXC

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014, Doug Crompton wrote:

> Thanks for sharing that Ian. Yes you do need access to an ntp server
unless you build up the real time clock.

> I will report that my test system with the real time clock (no ntp
updates) has kept excellent time. It has gained about 15 seconds in a
month of operation. This is however at a fairly constant 72 degree F room
temperature. It is certainly better to use ntp if you can.