[arm-allstar] power up

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Thu Dec 4 10:49:08 EST 2014

I have not seen that problem here but the recommendation of not powering down by pulling the power plug if possible is a good one but I have probably used ten or more boards B and C models and regularly pulled power after a halt with no problems.

When you say "power up problem" are you saying it does not boot at all? None of the 4 LEDS light when you apply power? Does it boot into Debian if you remove the SD card? It would help to have more info.

The 1.2.1 version can be halted in software 'shutdown -h now' or by momentarily pushing the power button just to the right of the Ethernet connector. You will get audible feedback on your radio that the system is going down and activity on the 4 leds will stop after about 10 to 15 seconds. Once halted, holding this button down again for 8 seconds will turn off the power LED. Pressing this button when the power is off will turn the BBB back on. Here is the official writing on this:

  A power button is provided near the reset button close to the Ethernet connector. This
button takes advantage of the input to the PMIC for power down features. While a lot of
capes have a button, it was decided to add this feature to the board to ensure everyone
had access to some new features. These features include:

- Interrupt is sent to the processor to facilitate an orderly shutdown to save files and
to un-mount drives.

- Provides ability to let processor put board into a sleep mode to save power.

- Can alert processor to wake up from sleep mode and restore state before sleep was
entered.

If you hold the button down longer than 8 seconds, the board will power off if you release
the button when the power LED turns off. If you continue to hold it, the board will power
back up completing a power cycle.

We recommend that you use this method to power down the board. It will also help
prevent contamination of the SD card or the eMMC.

If you do not remove the power jack, you can press the button again and the board will
power up.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio