[arm-allstar] Echolink Still Not Working....

TJ kl3it at kl3it.net
Sat Aug 30 13:42:59 EST 2014

John

I went back and checked the portal to refresh my memory and the only network configuration options that are available,  are for your servers internal ip address. It should be set to the network behind the router ie: 192.168.X.X if it is set to no-ip then when you download the config to your node it would not have a ip address and could not communicate to your router because they are on differing networks.

Because you are running through a VPN tunnel and the way DHCP servers work. I would tell you to set your server ip address to DHCP if your router is providing dhcp services.

To do so go to the portal then choose server, server configuration, then click on your server name.

When the server configuration page opens click on network configuration then change the third line to DHCP.

If your router does not provide DHCP then change this line to Static and put in a static IP that is on your network behind the router.

If your routers ip address is 192.168.1.1 then use something like 192.168.1.10 if your router is using a different IP scheme just make sure the first three groups of numbers are the same.

I think this is why you cannot make any connections.

A little more info on VPN tunnels:

The way a VPN works is it creates an encrypted connection between your node and the VPN server. If all of your traffic is being sent over the VPN,  then the IP address that is seen by everyone on the net is the IP address that was assigned to your VPN servers network by their service provider. So it would not matter if you used Verizon or AT&T because you would always be getting to the net via IPvanish.

If you router is configured to use the IPvanish tunnel and it is routing all of your traffic over the the VPN tunnel then your configuration on the node is good and it would not matter what service provider you are using. You could switch from any service provider without making any changes.

That being said you can configure your router to send all your traffic through the VPN or only part of the traffic. If only part of the traffic is running through the VPN Then switching between AT&T and Verizon could create problems depending on what traffic was not going through the VPN tunnel.

TJ (KL3IT)