[Arm-allstar-irlp] IRLP Echolink Port issue on new hamviop image

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Wed Feb 20 19:42:28 EST 2019

Hi Ian,

The issue with echolink, based on the errors below, is most likely a bad
node= or pwd= config statement in your /etc/asterisk/echolink.conf file.

Confirm that your echolink node number and password are correct.

73, David KB4FXC

On Thu, 21 Feb 2019, "Ian (VK2HK) via ARM-allstar-irlp" wrote:

> Hi all, first of all these are my first builds and use of the Hamvoip Pi Image and I have now spent more than a week trying and testing different options but cannot get this port problem sorted.

First off what I am trying to do is replace a working early Centos AllStarLink server that has both IRLP and Echolink on it and as I said working plus another working EchoIRLP Pi. Now the reason for this is that the Centos server is getting old and I’m seeing some issues on the old hard drive (yes full backup has been done) I’m also trying to get the other EchoIRLP Pi onto a hamvoip system.

The problem I am having is that after the new image is installed and configured including the IRLP key transferred, I cannot get either Echolink or IRLP to work, they don’t exist on the database and if I try to connect from them to anything, they won’t connect nor can I connect from another external node to them.
I have removed the existing systems from my network and have set up the new hamvoip Pi’s with the same IP address and the same GW, so that all the existing port forwarding from the routers stay the same. I have multiple Public IP’s and Routers so there is no port or IP conflicts.

If I log into either of the hamvoip Pi’s and run the troubleshoot-irlp program I get the following errors (screenshot attached)

If I check the log these are some of the errors showing in regards to connecting to the echolink servers,

ERROR[359] chan_echolink.c: Unable to connect to directory server server5.echolink.org
ERROR[359] chan_echolink.c: Error in parsing header on server3.echolink.org
ERROR[359] chan_echolink.c: Error in parsing header on oceania.echolink.org
ERROR[357] chan_echolink.c: connect() failed to connect to the Echolink server server5.echolink.org
ERROR[359] chan_echolink.c: connect() failed to connect to the Echolink server server5.echolink.org
ERROR[357] chan_echolink.c: connect() failed to connect to the Echolink server server5.echolink.org
ERROR[359] chan_echolink.c: Unable to connect to directory server server5.echolink.org
ERROR[359] chan_echolink.c: Error in parsing header on server3.echolink.org
ERROR[359] chan_echolink.c: Error in parsing header on oceania.echolink.org
ERROR[357] chan_echolink.c: connect() failed to connect to the Echolink server server5.echolink.org

The hamviop images are running on Pi3B+ but I have also tried on Pi2 with the same errors.

The next test I ran was to create a basic Debian9 Pi image and ran a python script to open the same ports required using the same Pi’s and the same IP, GW etc and when I check netstat it shows all open and when I do a port open check from the internet on a totally different external network, I can see each port open as it should be and if I replace them with my original Centos system and my original EchoIRLP Pi again they show as open, but if I run that same test when the hamvoip Pi's are connect and running it shows them as closed.

I’m hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to why I am having this problem and again hopefully be able fix this.